CIOR Language Academy (CLA)
CIOR LANGUAGE ACADEMY
The CIOR Language Academy (CLA) teaches English and French as a second language, emphasizing a NATO military lexicon while at the same time providing an orientation to CIOR. The instructors, qualified reserve officers as well as skilled linguists and teachers, are provided by CIOR member nations and are selected through a competitive process.
The students are NATO reserve officers and active duty officers of the new democracies of Eastern and Central Europe. Through the Language Academy, they are provided an essential and indispensable tool to carry out international NATO business – the ability to communicate in one of NATO’s two official languages. Established in 2000, CLA was a CIOR initiative in support of the Partnership for Peace program and has matriculated more than 300 officers from every nation of Eastern and Central Europe.
CIOR Language Academy is open to Reserve Officers or Active Officers below 60 years of age. NCOs, civilians with military affiliations and Retired Officers will have lower priority according to availability.
CIOR LANGUAGE ACADEMY 2019 – Tallinn, EST, 07/22-08/04/19
CIOR Language Academy 2019 will be held at the Estonian Academy of Security Sciences (), Kase 61, Tallinn.
The day of arrival scheduled for STUDENTS is Sunday 21 July and the day of departure is Sunday 4 August. The day of arrival scheduled for FACULTY AND STAFF is Saturday 20 July (Friday 19 July for Heads of Department) and the day of departure is Sunday 4 August.
CLA 2019 attendants will be most welcome to attend CIOR Summer Conference 2019 () Opening Ceremony at Maarjamäe Memorial () scheduled on 4th of August (logistic details on request).
The Estonian Academy of Security Sciences (EASS) is an institution of professional higher education in the area of government of the Estonian Ministry of the Interior providing vocational, professional higher education and Master’s studies in the area of internal security. EASS is located in Tallinn Pirita district and at approximately 20 minutes by bus from the city center. The host nation will provide transportation from and to Tallinn International Airport and Tallinn Harbor Passenger Terminal (the cost of the service is included in the registration fee).
For those of you driving to Tallinn, the address of the EASS is Kase 61, 12012 Tallinn ESTONIA.
EASS and Tallinn city center are located at 10/15 meters above sea level. Estonia lies in the northern part of the temperate climate zone and in the transition zone between maritime and continental climate. Because Estonia is continuously warmed by maritime air influenced by the heat content of the northern Atlantic Ocean, it has a milder climate despite its northern latitude. The Baltic Sea causes differences between the climate of coastal and inland areas. Average temperatures range from 16.3 °C (61.3 °F) to 18.1 °C (64.6 °F) in July.
EASS has a brand new main building that was opened on 22 February 2019, equipped with modern audio visual equipment for training and 24-hour high-speed internet connection and WIFI.
EASS main building has dinner hall, and a fully equipped gym and sauna. The use of sports equipment is free of charge
EASS is located near Pirita beach witch is the biggest and most popular beach in Tallinn.
- STANAG 6001 testing will be provided up to SLP level 3333 for the English language. French language exams up to level 3333 are conducted as authorized by the French Direction des ressources humaines de l’armée de Terre (DRHAT).
- CIOR Language Academy is open to Reserve Officers or Active Officers below 60 years of age. NCOs, civilians with military affiliations and Retired Officers will have lower priority according to availability.
- Bedrooms will be double rooms to share (2 persons per room). It is recommended that participants bring hangers for clothes.
- Bed linens are provided, however soap, shampoo, etc. are not.
- Shower shoes (flip-flops) are recommended, as the use of the shower will make the bathroom floor wet.
- Laundry service will not be provided but there is free access to the laundry room for using washing machines. We recommend participants bring a small amount of laundry detergent for own use.
- A room with extra computers with Internet connection will also be available to CLA19 participants. You will be allowed to either use the open computers in the facility or connect your own laptop to the Internet using WI-FI connection.
- Free access to the athletic facilities to CLA19
- The electrical sockets used in Estonia are type F, 230V. For those traveling from outside Europe you will need F or C/E adaptor in order to plug in your appliances. All attendees must bring own adapters for personal devices as none are supplied.
- The Estonian currency is EURO. There is an exchange office in the airport. The nearest ATM is in Selver shopping center Rummu tee 4, 11911 Tallinn, (about 10 min walk from EASS).
ONLINE APPLICATION IS MANDATORY. Applications for the French and English classes will be considered on an individual basis by the CLA Heads of Department. Priority will be given to Reserve Officers and SNCOs, however Regular Officers, SNCOs and MOD employees should still apply as they may still be allocated places. All candidates will be contacted once a decision has been taken regarding their application, those who are successful will be directed to the payment page to complete the registration.
Registration fees to attend CLA2019 are the following:
€500,00 (Euros) for Reserve Officers
€ 600,00 (Euros) for Active Duty Officers and Civilians
The fee covers the costs for accommodation, social activities, transportation in host nation, and meals from Sunday 21 to Sunday 4 August, for longer stays you will be requested to pay an extra fee per day.
Registration fees will be paid by bank transfer only and formal receipts will be issued.
In case of cancellations:
By June 15: 100% refund of the registration fee
After June 15: 50% refund of the registration fee
CIOR scholarships are available for a limited list of eligible countries (Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, Slovenia) thus allowing attendees from such countries to get a financial reimbursement for part of their expenses to attend CLA19.
Reimbursement rate for CIOR scholarship will be based on per capita Gross Domestic Product according to Eurostat (European Commission) statistics as follows:
⁃Slovenia (82), Czech Republic (82), Estonia (73) will get a 50% reimbursement.
⁃Poland (67), Hungary (66), Croatia (61) will get a 75% reimbursement
⁃Bulgaria (45), Albania (28) will get a 100% reimbursement.
(The number after each country name shows that country’s per capita GDP as a percentage of the EU-28 level which is considered to be 100.)
In addition, an age limit applies to the granting of CIOR Scholarships. Persons who will attain 50 years of age by 31 December 2019 are not eligible.
Exceptions will be made on a case . CIOR Language Academy 2019 has been endorsed by NATO in the NATO Partnership Work Program (PWP). This program allows most PfP and MD countries to be eligible for financial support and thus get a financial reimbursement for the expenses of the students attending the CIOR Language Academy 2019. The program is restricted to military personnel, civilians are not eligible for funding.
- Working service uniform (summer short-sleeve uniforms are acceptable) is required in class every day.
- For the opening and closing ceremonies a more formal set of uniform is preferred but is not mandatory.
- MOD employees must wear suits, though jackets will be dependent on the weather.
- Outside of classroom times causal clothes will be worn and sports kit is advisable.
- All participants must ensure personal clothing does not contain any offensive slogans or phrases as in such a multi-lingual environment it would be easy to inadvertently cause offense.
Classes will be held under the program approved by the management of the Academy. The following will be considered grounds for dismissal from CLA 2019:
- Prolonged failure to attend class.
- Conduct disruptive to the studies of other students.
- Intoxication during school hours or at school functions.
- Illegal drug use.
- Academic cheating.
- Conduct unbecoming an officer.
Moderate use of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine, spirits, etc) is permitted during leisure times. However, students are expected to behave as ladies and gentlemen at all times. Smoking only in permitted areas with due respect for all attendees.
There are no restrictions on leaving and return to the training center. However, ensure that you speak to a responsible CLA faculty or staff member before leaving the course during classroom hours. Emergencies do occur, but generally, your duty is to be at the EASS until 17h.
You are attending the CIOR Language Academy to improve your fluency in one of the two NATO languages: English and French. You are encouraged to use your new language skills at all times.
The final program of the 2 weeks will be distributed to all the students as soon as it is available, however, a preliminary timetable can be downloaded HERE.
Please note that the CIOR Language Academy is an immersion language experience which in addition to the daily academic lessons and activities offers social programs, films in the studied language, pedagogical and cultural excursions, interaction between all students. Therefore very little time is available for personal errands.
The pedagogical excursion on the intermediate weekend is mandatory.
The ESTONIAN RESERVE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION
Address: Endla 16, 10142, Tallinn ESTONIA
Contact: Maj Andre Lilleleht
Phone: +372 5016178